Saturday 15 November 2014

Elvis ha lasciato l'edificio...

Here is some of the work so far, now waiting for biscuit firing (digging the English terms used here!) Nothing out of the ordinary, save for it is quite different from my work at home. Not sure if it shows in the photo, but the one with the cup on its side in the middle shows how they have been super burnished with a metal rib to be shiny and smooth as marble. The prospect of finally decorating with the metallic salts is a bit daunting. And so, whilst having afternoon tea proffered by a well-known English potter working here for a few weeks, the other [recreational] potter in residence commented how unusual and rewarding it is to just spend the day, after day, working in clay. I wholeheartedly concurred, much - I think - to the surprise and/or delight of our founder, Pietro. "Yes, it's so great to really focus on what I'm doing, not putting pressure on myself. Instead, I work to really keep with my work/study plan, but as I work, new ideas are coming out of that. It's really great." Pietro nods in agreement, then goes to read a wall post about which I had forgotten. He says that he is the author - he is certainly the author of its location on the wall (!): "When you start working, everybody is in your studio - the past, your friends, enemies, the art world, and above all your own ideas. But as you continue, they start leaving one by one, and you are left completely alone. Then, if you're lucky, even you leave!" Like Elvis so famously did, I think I have left the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment