Sunday 3 September 2017

How many parts make a whole?

"Each separate part was a simple fraction of the whole."  This is Da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man", as displayed in Napoli's Stazione Centrale in 2012.  I was reminded of the original sketch this weekend as we prepared to dance our community piece "Array" at Illuminate Barrie.  One might wonder if Da Vinci could have conceived of the impact of this image and the many purposes it serves.  This visual compels one to think spherically and laterally, to think not only physically but energetically.  Thinking in those terms has allowed for the many parts that have made this one incredibly whole Summer, from being involved with the choreographic creation of "Array" as part Simcoe Contemporary Dancers' presentation of Dusk Dances Barrie, to receiving an Ontario Arts Council grant for an upcoming ceramics residency in Italy, to seeing my niece and nephew play their guitar recital pieces, to catching up with old friends over a Raku firing.  Yes, this is all very me, me, me!  The thing is, it wouldn't be me without all those incredible people in all those parts around me, and for that, I am so very grateful.   

No comments:

Post a Comment